Jay Haynes pointed me to a wild piece on Ars about the future of Pro Tools, citing the latest batch of Apple rumors. The piece is mostly focused on Apple's plans for its music creation software, but boy does it bury the lede:
Basically the rumor is this: There will be no Logic 8. The successor to Logic 7 will have a new name. The unnamed application will be 10.5 only and will work with a new line of touch sensitive Apple displays. Also, it will be an OMG PROTOOLS KILLER!@!!
I read this and I thought: touch sensitive Apple Displays?!? That explains everything! This might be crazy, or might already be conventional wisdom somewhere, but hear me out. Think about the common denominator behind:
• The missing killer features in the Leopard preview
• The lack of iLife updates in Jan 07
• The rollout of the iPhone multitouch interface
• The abnormally long delay in releasing new Apple displays
• A rumor about a ProTools killer that relies on touch displays
I look at all those developments, and say with absolute scientific precision: Apple is going to roll out the multitouch interface across almost its entire product line this spring, integrated into Leopard, new displays, iPhone, iLife, and the successor to Logic.
OMG, did I just become an Apple rumors site?